Thread: Hatch Reels
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hatch Reels

I personally like an outfit to balance at a point towards the front of the grip opposite where my thumb would be planted on top. Too light a reel makes the rig feel tip heavy even if it is a light weight trout rod and this perceived weight can be more fatiguing than having extra weight in the reel. If anything I would prefer the reel to be slightly too heavy than too light. I fish both Hatch and Nautilus reels in trout and saltwater sizes. These two makes are among my top-tier quality/performance preferences and they mate with different rods because they are distinctly different in weight per line/backing capacity. This past spring I purchased a Nautilus FWX 5/6 to use on my also new NRX 9'/#4...it looked handsome and aesthetically appropriate on the Loomis but it was too light and wound up on my Hardy Zenith 9'/#5 which is lighter than the #4 Loomis. The NRX big river 4-weight's big brother, NRX #8, is mounted with a Nautilus but it is the far more substantial (though still light for its class) NV 10/11 customized with Nautilus's "Giga" #8 spool. This is one of my best ever bonefish outfits and a perfect combination as is the Hatch 7+ on Scott's #8 S4s; a little heavier rod with a specialty for dead accurate presentations out to about 70' and, importantly, in as close as 30'. I will often fish the powerful NRX from the bow of the skiff and switch to the S4s when I get out to wade. You have to have back-up tackle when bonefishing remote destinations anyway and rock solid reliable quality is a must, so might a well enjoy some diversity. This diversity is what these two reel makers offer me and though their personalities and size weights are quite different the smooth, strong, fine tunable and trouble free drag works flawlessly on both makes and both have excellent spool aspect ratios.