View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default River Camping Trip

A few weeks back me and a group from our state kayak fishing fourm did our early fall river camp. It's a cool group of people from many walks of life that came in from all over of the state. There were 15 of us this trip. Actually had a couple of flyfishers this time, though for most, fishing isn't the main concern. Me - I fish.

My first interesting fish of the trip - Rio Grande cichlid, a native of the Rio Grande drainage in Texas and Mexico, it has been been introduced in other Texas rivers. They are fighters, you'll think you have a much bigger fish on.
Click the image to open in full size.

Lots of plastic - we have most of the brands and models covered.

Like most of the river in this area, it is surrounded by ranches

The Guadalupe x Smallmouth hybrid. No pure Guadalupe Bass are left here, and as sad as that is, the hybrids are beautiful fish and are great fighters too.

There's a large island 8 miles from the put-in that will hold a big group. Here's my tent and veiw.

One of my things was to have a big fire. With the drought we've had burn bans in place most of the last few years, but some recent rains allowed them to be dropped just in time.

And dinner -

We had a great time sitting around the fire talking and visiting. It was fun to listen to all the conversations, older guys talking about their military days in the '60s and the younger ones talking about being old, at 30.

The fishing wasn't great, low water that was a bit stained, but guys like this kept us from getting bored.

It was a nice relaxing trip with people that I really enjoy getting out with.
Can't beat that.