View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
I was just trying to see if I was expecting too much out my equipment.

John
Virtually any equipment is capable of more than 40' casts. That friend of mine I mentioned doing casts of 130' + is doing it with a Cabela's Three Forks rod. Not exactly expensive top of the line rod. As far as getting distance, the most important piece of equipment is you.

Silver is absolutely right about the wind. Take the weather here for instance the last couple of times I have been out. To call it breezy would be putting it mildly. Then top it off with where the outside of the weed beds are along with where the top of my waders are and only being able to make a 40' cast will get you nowhere. What he said was good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
I started watching my back cast and letting it unfold a little longer. Made quite a bit of difference. A week or so ago, I figured out I was letting my rod tip go to far back on the back cast. That helped also.
Those are the little things that add up to an 80' cast in the near future.