View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving from the NW to Vieques, PR

Wow! Thanks for all the info. That will be super helpful.

My main reason for getting a boat, initially, is that a lot of the flats on the island are somewhat inaccessible by land because of the aforementioned Naval activities. Also, from what I've gathered so far, there are some good flats that are easily foot waded, but they are a few hundred yards off shore. I'll mainly be using a boat to access these, and then getting it more set up to actually fish from as I meet other anglers.

As for the more accessible flats, I am planning on getting a scooter with a rod rack on it as my "skiff", before I get a boat

I am just really excited as the island is getting some really good publicity. It just means the population will grow, and hopefully a contingent of flyfisherman along with it. There is a NYT article that says it's very similar to some of the more popular Florida Keys destinations of 50 years ago, which sounds pretty rad to me.

I imagine it also only be a matter of time before I start chasing Tarpon as well. From what I've read, PR has some monsters. Supposedly, the world record was taken there, but they didn't want to kill the fish to actually claim it (which I agree with).