View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving from the NW to Vieques, PR

I'd like to see someone IGFA certify a tarpon kill 60 pounds over the record tomorrow because that would eliminate a bunch being killed on the way to getting there. The girth and length tarpon forumlas are really quite accurate and can be done with two people in a skiff if they have everything together, so the record hunters wouldn't be killing any. But that likely will not happen.

When you get onto a big one and it takes you long enough getting it boatside to where it lets out a long moan, you'll have to drag it a long time to revive it. Make sure you got those yellow gloves because their jaw can't be held on to without them they are so slimy.

Bonefish can be weighed with a certified boga grip so long as the angler is standing on solid ground in the water or on shore - not the boat. But now they have to be measured on an official tape, which requires dry land or a boat gunwhale or something to set it down on.

The bones down there will probably be like the ones here from the 70's. The "downtown" fish from around Islamorada in the wadeable flats now have seen more flies than me. But none of the flats around me have had any bones on them in the last dozen years or so, so I don't fish for them that much anymore.

I'm sure the PR water is real clear. You wouldn't believe how beautiful this place was in the 50's, and teeming with life of all kinds. It lasted real well till about 1990 - despite the pressure.

It's still as good a tarpon spot as you'll find anywhere though. And there are bones not far south of me and not that far north either. You're going to be there at the right time.