View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Friday night I was planning for a Lake Pleasant fishing trip and I needed some Shad flies to chuck at the stripers.

I remembered seeing some large Pike Flies that had a foam head in front of a bunch of hair and feathers, so I decided to try it myself on a smaller scale.

I tried one with a combination of maribou and ostrich herl, one using congo hair, and one using AZ Diamond Hair. the AZDH version was the best so I tied up some more tonight including a smaller version using AZ Minnow Hair.

For me a key to this fly is the hook, a Mustad 9174 which is a very heavy wire short shank hook. The weight of the hook keeps the fly oriented right.

I fished these on sinking lines (Type III sink tip and a 300 grn Orvis Depth Charge) and the action is great. They are pretty much neutral buoyancy so they just kinda float where you leave them or slowly sink with the line. Give them a twitch and a strip and they dance and dart.

This is a small version on a #6 hook.

Click the image to open in full size.

Larger version on a 2/0 hook.

Click the image to open in full size.