View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM

busbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Total Newbie from Pittsbugh

Noreaster,

I didn't talk about the flies I lost already to the darn fly-eating trees

To tell you the truth, I was intrigued with tying flies years back, almost 20 now. I used to work swing shifts and there was this guy who always worked the night shift who would tie flies on slow nights. He never fished--he hated it. He never even ate fish--he hated fish. But he loved to tie flies and had tied them for years and years. He was tying a salmon fly the first time I saw him tying and it was so cool that I thought "Hey, I want to do that."

Too bad life happened. The second kid came along right after that and I had to pack fly tying away for another day. A couple years ago, a group of outdoorsmen put together a free ten-week fly tying class at a local church (emphasis on the word "FREE").

With the oldest kid in college and the other a junior in high school, I went. I found a cheap-o Thompson vice on eBay and went to the first class. It was more fun than I thought, even after well over 15 years. I was wandering around a Gander Mountain one day and they were getting rid of all their higher-end fly tying stuff and I found a nice Griffith Superior 3ARP Vise for $40! Complete with a clamp AND a pedestal. I sort of had to get it.

I tried using a bubble on my spinning rod that summer and thru last summer. I was always chicken to try it out in the water because, well, I pretty well stunk up the joint in my backyard and I didn't want to look like an idiot on the water.

An older guy I met in the tying class more-or-less forced me to go out the first time. I had made him a basic tying desk and he wanted to pay me. I told him to just take me out and show me how to at least roll cast and that would be payment enough. He was a good teacher. I hope I have 1/10th the patience he had with me that day.

I lost flies in those darn trees that day. I slid down a bank and slammed my rear-end on the ground so hard once that it hurt to walk for two days. I got my line all twisted around me many times. Caught every log in the stream (it had rained the day before A LOT, so the creek was really deep and muddy). I hooked my hat a couple times because I was trying to really cast when he wasn't looking. And I wasn't paying attention once and turned around to tell him I lost a fly when he cast his fly and hooked it on my fly line right in front of my nose.

So, you are right: I have jumped in with both feet but I am a klutz.