View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nautilus FWX Fragility?

Because of its exaggerated wide/shallow aspect ratio, I consider the Waterworks/Lamson reels a poor choice for flats fishing. I do have two Nautilus FWX reels that are used for some hard-core trout fishing and like them a lot but consider their design best suited for fish no tougher than steelhead. The Nautilus NV has a truly sealed, much beefed up drag design and it is a very fine bonefish reel. I use the NV "Giga" 8 on my NRX#8 and it has proven itself in the Bahamas and Florida. I enjoy fishing this reel which is designed and built in Florida by people who know the tropical salt. It is, however, a highly machined cage style for light weight and if real ruggedness is your top priority (though it is also more than your $300 limit) Hardy's Fortuna X is super solid and perhaps the strongest drag around. Of course, if ultimate ruggedness was your principal concern you would may not have bought the BVK; not that it is a bad rod, we use one bonefishing too. If yours is new and came without the Recoil guides, be sure to rinse it down every day after fishing.