View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Trout Beads for Salmon River NY

Hi Ben,

You don't need to use a Spey rod to swing your streamers for trout on that river. It is likely that the same methods you use in Europe will work on the Salmon River.

The hardest thing for a fly fisherman to get past is when you are trying your best to catch fish using flies while listening to all the whooping and hollering from those who are using beads or dragging the bottom with weights. I have fished the Salmon and also places here in Alaska when the bead and weight guys were hooking fish every other cast while I went without a touch. Almost always by the end of the day I will catch just as many fish as they did, it just takes longer. To fish the flies you must find the right places where the fly will work. These are not usually the deepest and swiftest runs on the river. While there will be fish stacked up in those deep runs there are also fish that are to be found in the more fly friendly waters on any river. Finding those spots and the fish that are in them is the thrill for me. While it would be cool to be the guy doing all the whooping & hollering every other cast I've seldom been that guy. I've had to work for every fish I've caught over the past 30 years or so and every year it gets a little harder, even here. Maybe if you are going to hire a guide you'll be lucky enough to find a fly fisherman who also guides. That person probably won't put you in the big deep run at Altmar but will march you along the river for a couple miles until he finds you some fish. In my thinking, that would be a guide.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;