View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph Swap Fall 2012

With all the step by steps, I thought I'd try one, though it's an easy fly. Sorry some of the pics are out of focus...

It's my version of a zebra sugar cube fly. It can be fished in the film as an emerger, but I found it most effective trailing behind a beadhead nymph. Can also be tied parachute style and is great in olive.

Materials:

Hook: Umpqua 202 size 18
Thread: 12/0 black
Tail: White antron yarn divided in half
Abdomen: black thread
Ribbing: 6/0 white thread ribbing (makes subtle ribbing, 3/0 more pronounced)
Sugar cube: white foam strip
Hackle: black, whiting's 100's size 24

Click the image to open in full size.

1. Lay down thread base all the way down the curve of the hook shank

2. Tie in antron yard tail and 6/0 white tying thread then advance thread up about 3/4 up the shank. Tie in foam strip leaving about one hook eye in front of it.

3. Wrap white tying thread up the shank for ribbing and trim antron tail as a trailing shuck. Tie in the hackle behind the foam strip and pack thread wraps in front of the foam strip to help it stand up.

4. 2 to 3 turns of hackle behind the foam and tie it off. Trim and whip finish.

I had some time while my daughter napped this afternoon and got mine tied. Now just to get to the post office before the deadline.

Thanks!