View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need to buy first fly

I very much agree with the previous post, but since you're just getting started & sounds like you don't have any casting experience, I would stay away from Clouser Minnows for now. They are made with barbell eyes of various metals & if you hit your rod with one while attempting to cast, they will break the rod.

I've never fished in that area, but have a friend (Kelly Watson, Texas River Bass) who guides in that area. He fishes the Blanco River mostly. From pictures I've seen of those waters, you probably don't need weighted flies, or at least not heavily weighted like a Clouser Minnow. Clouser Minnows with bead chain eyes will work there, but still be careful of hitting the rod with them.

For a surface fly I would start with large foam type hoppers. Perhaps a size 6 or 4 Chernobyl Hopper, or Triple Decker. Black & yellow would be good if you can find them, but other colors will work. I once tied some large locust flies for Kelly in those colors, as he indicated the local locust where black & yellow.

For subsurface, try Woolly Buggers or one of the many variations. Black, olive, rootbeer brown, & white will all work on bass. Again, I would go with size 6 or 4 since you're fishing with a 5 weight.

These are Clouser Minnows. Notice the eyes!
Click the image to open in full size.

Woolly Buggers:

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 10-11-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added pictures