View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Top 3 For Bettering Your Cast

I have noticed a fairly consistent stream of "New to Fly Fishing" threads. I was thinking how it might be helpful to have a thread for little tips on improving your overall casting ability.

Some tips are fairly well known like 10 oclock/ 2 oclock for rod position, while others may be things you figured out and work for you.

Personally, I'm far from an expert caster. Decent or fair caster maybe. Nor am I familiar with all the proper or foormal mechanics of a cast. Many lunkers have passed on my presentation. I have coaxed a few out of their depths.

I think I read that Henry Winkler (The Fonze) said after learning to fly fish, "It took me a half hour to learn how to fly fish, now I have the rest of my life to perfect it."

So for me I guess my top three things to improve a newby cast would be

1) Timing is everything. The pause between the back cast (when rod is straight up) and fore cast is essential. A count of 1,2,-pause- 3,4 between lifting through to presenting the fly makes a world of difference. At least for me it did.

2) Relaxing the shoulders and arms. A cast will flow much better when the muscle groups used are free from tension, stress or over flex. Try to find just enough strength to accomplish your cast while letting the rod do as much work as it can.

3) Good posture and weighting. A little tip I picked up from Tai Chi that may help those with fatigue and back or arm pain. Many people when standing on two feet split their upper torso weight 50/50 on both legs. This is referred to as double weighting. The classics say whatever arm you are working with you should be weighting or putting more weight down on the opposite leg. If the rod is in your right hand then most of your weight should be on your left leg. Its important not to hyper extend or lock your leg, but rather have a gentle comfortable bend in it. If you ever have watched a blue heron or crane stalk its prey it uses one leg to control the body. The same is true for humans.
This will give you more power and control in your casting arm.

Would love to hear your casting tips.

Last edited by noreaster; 10-19-2012 at 03:32 PM.