Thread: Saying Hello!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 PM

laxfisher35 is on a distinguished road
Default Saying Hello!

Hi everyone!

I am new to fly fishing and would love to really start getting into it before I go to college. I am 17 years old and I live in Dallas, Texas. My best friend and I started fly fishing this past summer but I haven't really often to since I didn't have a rod and would just trade off with him when he wasn't using it. Tomorrow I am going to cabelas to purchase my first rod and I am very excited. I don't know a whole lot but I know enough to get me started. I am most likely going to buy a cabelas LSi 9 foot 5 weight just to start out with. And I know some might say it's too nice of a rod to start with but I found it or only $70 in the bargain cave and that is just as much as any of the cheaper ones so why not get a fantastic one for the same price as a beginner one?! But it is only the rod so I will have to buy the reel separately. The reel will most likely be the prestige plus or a wind river reel but I'm not sure what size to get. I mostly fish for perch, bream, and bass so I will probably get a 5/6 weight in either of those reels. I'm not totally sure about how to pick a reel but I believe you match the weight Of the rod to the reel. I am sure the guys at cabelas can help. If anyone has any ideas on reels that are reasonably priced or anything that will help a beginner that would be fantastic. Also I plan on attending Colorado state university so if anyone knows of good spots in Fort Collins Colorado to fly fish let me know! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ard Stetts; 10-16-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Change title to fit Introductions thread;