View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: length for a leader?

It's not rocket science, you can use whatever formula works for you. I stick with the 60%/20%/20% leader because it works well and is easy to remember.
I know that Lefty uses a formula where each step-down is half the length of the section before. He starts at 50# test too.
(My trout leaders are much more complex and I tie them at 8', 10' and 12')

I don't find that bass are at all leader shy. They may be very wary of your approach and cast, but the leader itself is not a threat.
The main reason that I like my warm (and salt) water leaders shorter than the rod is that when landing a fish, the line/leader knot connection is always outside of the rod's tip-top.
It's just something that you don't have to ever worry about when things can otherwise be hectic.