View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much line should a beginner cast with?

The way I came to this method is that I used to start beginners with 30 feet of fly line. They could not handle it. The cast would collapse. They would get wide loops. The cast would dump on both the forward and backcasts. They would try to correct this with more power, just whipping the line into wide forward and backward arcs.

Then I would shorten the line to 25 feet, then to 20, then to 15 and even to 10 feet. I was hit with an epiphany of sorts. The only reason I began with 30 feet is that it sounded logical. But in practice it did not work.

So I did the opposite. I started short and then lengthened the cast. With the 30 foot start, the beginners start with failure. When you start with 10 feet, they begin with success.

A 10 foot cast requires shorter stroke and less power. It is easier to get a proper stroke for a 10 foot cast than a 30 foot cast. The beginner can see that it is not the lack of power that is the problem but the stroke and stop. So a short cast removes the common beginner tendency whip the rod harder to extend the line as they do for a 30 foot cast.

Give beginners a chance to start with success. It is a better way to teach for the instructor and the student.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy