Well I've come to the conclusion that plans fall apart and its best to just let it ride. I wasted two days rounding up the bits and peices, testing, tweeking and tuning my home made binder when I woke up this morning and said the hell with it I'll bind by hand. Well it worked out way better than I could have hoped for!
I turned on my oven, that suprisingly based only on looks, kept a consistant temperature of 300, made up a mix of Nyatex epoxy and went at it. The tips were really tough on the hands and the 4'11" one pc was killer too! Here's a look at the butt ends....
The handle area gets triple wrapped to keep the swell from opening while the glue sets. Once the glue is spread evenly with a tooth brush the blank gets wrapped or bound in glace cotton thread under tension. I used a Jap made Pflueger with the drag set at 1.5 (give or take) for the butts and around a pound for the tips. The thread is wrapped in one direction on the way up and cross hatched on the way down with an extra wrap on the handle butts. From there they go into the oven, a 8" round duct with a heat gun in the rear as the heat source and a cap o the other end to hold in the heat. I had to do it that way due to the large diamter duct I chose. It workes great but it ain't pretty! Here's a look at my "binder"
Sorry for the poor pics but the lighting in the workroom is not the best for the camera. After the rods sit over night I'll remove the binding thread and sand down the extra glue, take the fine apex off the flats (it facilitates in varnishing) and heat straighten any sweeps or kinks, I know I have a few but nothing serious. Then on the finishig but I'm not going to get ahead of myself
This has been alot of fun so far and my understanding of cane and its properties has increased in massive ammounts. It feels really good to make it this far and now the personal pressure if off!!