View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Swift River Massachusetts

Well I made the 98 mile trip on Tuesday morning. I arrived at 08:00 and I was the only guy on the river. The river above route 9 was gin clear and fish were evident in good numbers. Plenty of Rainbows and Brook trout.
Although the weather was good, sunny and clear there was a chilly wind blowing and as a result there was very little top of the water action. There were quite a few trees down across the river, I guess as a result of a fairly recent storm, this however did not detract from the wading and gave a fair bit of cover for the fish.

I did struggle for the first few hours, eventually switching to small nymphs and did start to get a fair bit of interest, but did not manage to land any fish. I suspect my flies may have been a bit on the big side, size 14&16.
I met a few guys throughout the day, all of which were very friendly and offered some sound advice on the river. One guy had quite a few fish on a wooly bugger, not a fly I would normally fish on a river, but it worked for him. I did not see a great amount of fly life, maybe the time of year.
A few pictures

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I enjoyed the day and will definitely return.