View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 3 For Bettering Your Cast

Dan is right on, everyone has their own casting style. This is very important because when one is learning they should not over-try to make the "perfect" stroke - the old fashioned 10 to 2. You need to follow the guidelines and concentrate on the motion and form, yes, but you also have to stay loose enough to let your own casting stroke develop and let your rod help dictate that stroke.

So I say timing is everything, every novice caster I see or fish with is too fast i.e. they don't wait on the back cast. If you don't wait on the back cast you will never load the rod and never make a decent forward cast. After you get the feel of loading the rod then the stop! on the forward cast must be high and abrupt.

And don't be afraid to use your arm. Be comfortable. Don't tie the rod butt to your wrist or try to hold something against your body with your elbow. Those are very old-fashioned techniques that will limit you once you learn to cast. Try to double-haul with your elbow glued to your side!

Lefty actually teaches to move your lower arm with your stroke so that your elbow is sliding along a plane parallel to the ground.