View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Can't catch a stocked trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Friend's don't let friends catch stocked trout. Wild fish forever!
Creeker, I'm not sure what part of the country you live in, but for many folks their only opportunity to catch trout is to catch stockers. I prefer wild fish and fortunately have many opportunities to fish for them, but if I lived somewhere with only stockers or even with a put and take fishery, you better believe I'd be there. When I lived in Michigan, I had to drive at least two hours for non-put and take trout. Fished a lot for bass and panfish, but did sneak in some local trout fishing, even if it wasn't as good as wild fish.

Regarding flies, at that put and take fishery (it was stocked in the spring and the fish wouldn't survive the summer) they'd stock it and there'd be no fishing for a bit while the fish settled in, then a month of catch and release, following which you could keep the fish. For some reason, the trout went nuts for white wooly buggers. I'd fish size 4-8. It was a river and I'd cast to the bank and strip it back. Might try those just in case they'd work.