View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar tyer View Post
Red Owl hit the nail on the head. The Swift is a very technical river were presentation is key. The drift has to be perfect for fish to even be interested in the fly. It's not uncommon for a fish to follow the fly watching the drift. Sometimes they'll even nose bump it 2 or 3 times before striking. Trout eyesight is very poor compared to ours. They can't see detail of flies too well, but they sure can see a tiny bit of drag.

Fly size doesn't matter much during the warmer months at the swift. I catch dozens of fish there on my size 10 hopper pattern. My other top producing fly is a size 14 beetle. Sometimes I think the old locals like to mess with newcomers a bit by telling them to use size 32 midges on 10x tippet. It's easy to think the fly your using is too big with the fish being so educated. I always tell people on the river to try different flies and sizes. I've seen some big weird patterns produce very well there.

The only time I've had any luck matching a hatch is the midsummer sulfur hatch. Other than that I don't see any hatches going on big enough for the fish to key in on.

Great river and worth the time it takes to learn it.
Good points friar tyre also if you want to catch salmon and lake trout that spilled over the top of the dam during high water use a large streamer with a full sink line retrieving rapidly. At the Y pool there are 25" + salmon and I've seen up to 30" also. I also got some awesome under water footage of these fish at the Y pool and the upper pool. If you want to check the videos out they are on you tube under bowsie15. Let me know what you think. I still want to go fish it one more time this year anyone ekes going???