View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best line for lake and pond fishing?

This summer I have been fishing ponds and pools a lot for Bass, Bluegill, White bass, and Carp.
I bout the Sage 230 grain line at Sierra Trading post for $30. They don't carry it anymore, but I did find some on e-bay.
This line shoots like a rocket on an eight weight. I am a Sharkskin girl, but love this line and the price is a big bonus.

I use a 6' furled leader with the Kevlar in it. Been using it all summer and still using it. With that leader I am adding 3' to 6' of fluoro tippet.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I fish lakes all the time. I've used sink lines, but they are no fun at all to fish.

In 15' or deeper, a UL spin rod is so much better. Try the new super thin "NanoFil" line and you can fish any depth with ease.

I caught a few crappie with a sink line and small streamers, but I can catch ten times as many, and a lot less work, with a UL spin outfit.
Dude you are definitely not doing something. Sinking lines on stillwater are a must! All sinking lines will hit bottom including Intermediate, it is all about how quickly.

The fact you catch more with spinning is just your ability to use sinking line correctly is lacking. Not trying to be rude, just the fact.
Fly fishing does require putting the practice time in. It is possible to flip a fly out and catch a fish, but to do it anywhere, anytime, any species with fly gear requires time spent.
I have out fished many a spin fishers on local ponds.