View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM

FunkyFlyTying is on a distinguished road
Default Nice Grayling from an English river

I have not had much time to fish these last few weeks with fishing shows etc but when my good buddy Pete called to see if i wanted to get out for the day i jumped at the chance.
Our rivers have suffered from to much water this year and the river has been high and coloured for some time and i have to say when i arrived i was not sure if the river would fish very well.
However i had a few new flies i wanted to try along with a new french leader set up that would suit where we were fishing so it was a good excuses to get fishing.
I was testing some new "sunrise" lens Costa's as well which worked perfectly in the very dull conditions.
Fishing was hard with the fish just not in the usual lies and not feeding.
Pete had a very nice out of season brown trout and a couple of small Grayling and i had hooked a small Grayling too.
The french leader set up was working a treat showing the smallest bumps as the 3mm tungsten beaded fly bounced along the bottom of the river bed.
The indicator twitched to the right and dipped slightly and i lifted in to a good fish that moved downstream and stayed deep.
When we first saw the fish we both thought i could be the magical 3lb + Grayling but the more i fought it the smaller it became.
We just managed to squeeze the fish in to the net and after a quick picture slipped it back.
It took quite a while to get the fish ready to swim off and it was great to see if finally drift of strongly to the deeps of the pool.
It was a fish over 2lb which is not a common fish on my local river so i was over the moon.
A very hansom male fish with a great big dorsal fin.
Click the image to open in full size.
T