View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Top 3 For Bettering Your Cast

Ayup, I can attest to trying sheer force and it not working one iota. I got my fly rod and reel late last autumn and practiced as much as I could in the yard. I have to say, I always start out with force. I don't know why. (Well, I do know why. I think I am spincasting plus it still boggles my mind that even I can cast 30-feet with only a twitch.)

Never fails. I always start off horrible. Each and every time. Then I make a nice cast almost by mistake and then I finally wake up and start casting (more) right and things go better from there. Sometimes it still takes a while for me to realize just what the heck I am doing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Chuckfluffer, first this is for beginners and beginners will often attempt to cast by sheer force. There is certainly some force needed by the caster, but "extra force" applied will not make a cast any better, until they learn how the rod works.

I don't know the stats on how much force is actually needed to cast, but my point here is that most beginners will attempt to overpower the cast instead of letting the rod do it's work. Overpowering can sometimes work with conventional tackle, and if a beginning fly caster has been casting such tackle, often they will have the same mindset.

I've seen Lefty Kreh cast an entire fly line with just the tip section of a 2 piece rod. Lefty is certainly not a beginner, but his demonstration proves very well that extra force is not needed.