View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bright skies and salmon eyes

You don't have to floss or fish for Salmon on gravel (raking gravel, is what I call it). Salmon that are not actively working gravel or spawning can be caught in deeper runs or in pools below actively spawning fish. I nymph quite a bit for Salmon and they will routinely eat a nymph or egg drifted through a pool or run. I caught a half dozen just upstream from the first picture in this thread on Sunday. Didn't see any of them before catching them, but based on the river knew they would be holding there. I love watching people look at me when I'm landing and catching Kings in this water while they're raking gravel trying to floss or induce a strike to a spawning fish.

I don't want to turn this into a "salmon don't eat" thread. The fishing in SW Wisconsin is finally starting to get decent. It's been deplorable from the start and the fish are coming up from the lake and harbors darker than normal. But there are still some fish not yet spawning that are aggressively hammering flies. It will not be long until the Steelhead start showing up in decent numbers, I just hope the rivers don't freeze early to add insult to injury of a lousy fall run of fishing.

Cheers,
Mike.