View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some tactical questions (trout fishing)

Hi Mike, hopefully I can help a bit.

1. You can bring the leader back around the foot of the reel seat and hook the fly to a guide. I do that when my leader is longer than my rod, though If I'm moving through bad brush I might just break the rod down rather than risk snapping the tip.

2. A general rule I've heard is to have the indicator about 2x the depth of the water, assuming you want your fly to be near the bottom. This accounts for the tippet drifting at an angle behind the indicator due to the current. In slower water, closer to the depth of the river as the flies will hang more vertically, in faster water, raise it up as there's more current. Using a moveable indicator is helpful. If you're tying the nymphs under a dry fly, it's harder to adjust.

3. I love my short, light rod but on small streams sometimes longer rods are better. They can give you more reach to get over currents and into small pockets while having little to any line on the water. I have a 12' 3wt I love for small streams and wouldn't mind if it was a 4wt.

Sounds like a great place to fish!