View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tie more flies than you can fish? Donate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
yeah, not sure if my 1000's of flies will last me... Larry, 6 dozen! you must be efficient!

I am donating a dozen 'purple headed warriors' (winter warrior with purple thread and collar).

EDIT(wow, you guys are awesome. I had a feeling the folks here would want to help out)
TB: I'm hardly efficient, but being retired I have the time to grind them out, plus it always helps to get better the more you do something repetitively. Earlier I had contacted the gal that runs the Wyoming CFR program and volunteered to be a river helper at next year's program in Dubios, WY. She mentioned that last year one of the volunteers had donated six dozen flies to the participants so I told her I would tie up some flies for her this year. So far I have tied a dozen foam ants, a dozen thread ants, and a dozen foam beetles using that "oil slick" material Joni posted awhile back (boy is that a prolific fish catcher). I'm also planning on a dozen deer-hair beetles (another amazing fish magnet), a dozen elk hair caddis and a dozen parachute adams. I had a terrific summer using those patterns so I figured they would be perfect for the CFR program that is done in WY in mid-July (as I recall). I usually don't attempt tying dries as they are so hard with my eyesight, but thought I would give it a go. My normal tying is midges, nymphs and streamers and I just buy the dries. If I get the planned flies done early I might also throw in a couple dozen nymphs, something simple like pheasant tials, hare's ear and rainbow warriors.........all very effective almost everywhere for trout.

Larry