View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Some tactical questions (trout fishing)

Slow action on tight waters is definitely an advantage. When I got my bamboo flea rod I was in heaven with the slow motion fishing I could do with it. The little 6'3" rod is a graphite and I use it for fishing streamers not dries and have learned to do roll / mini Spey casts with it to fit darn near any situation. The Bow & Arrow cast sometimes has to be employed on the streams I fish.

Of course there are open areas where I could be using my 9' 5 weight or an 8' rod but there would be too many spots that I could not fish with the longer rods. My theory on rods for small creeks is: you can cast a short rod pretty far on an open stretch but you can't fit a long rod into the really tight niche's very easily.

On big creeks and rivers I go the opposite; the bigger the rod the better. The thinking there is that you can catch a small fish on a big rod just fine but catching a big fish on a small rod can go badly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;