View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some tactical questions (trout fishing)

Sounds a lot like fishing front range creeks and subalpine headwaters.
Plenty of that stuff around here. With creeks being so low last summer, much of my creek fishing was tight overhung headwaters at altitude.

1. 7'6" 3wt has changed my life on small streams! TFO pro was very affordable. Not much 'traditional' over the shoulder casting needed on small creeks. roll, slingshot, oval, and other casts without a back cast will be best.

2. Go dry dropper. Indicators are better on bigger water IMO. Might be surprised how many fish will take a cricket, ant or hopper out of season.
If it is shallow, no need to spook them with a fluorescent bubble. 2 fly rigs will outperform, just because they get snagged less than 3 fly rigs. Switch to parachute adams, elk caddis, or other buoyant fly if they are eating smaller stuff. Avoiding the indy will give you 'stream cred' with the crusty types

3. shorten your leader to rod length and hide behind rocks on the approach. A 12ft leader is no fun on a 8ft rod. Work downstream hiding behind rocks and plopping your rig in every pocket, or work upstream and stay low out of view. If your fly line is so flashy that you need a 12' leader, consider buying something more drab (olive, tan, brush, willow, or even clear). willow green seems to not offend, fluorescent yellow probably will.

I personally like to wear camo in tight cover. some people will point to snell's refraction window and claim that fish can't see outside of it. But I have seen fish spook just based on light changes outside of what they can see clearly. Kind of fun to hunt fish and catch the ones you sight

Where are you located on the front range? Might be able to point you to some cool creeks.