View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Perhaps The Most Well Known Streamer of All Time;

It has been years since I tied a Gray Ghost. I looked through my feathers - silks - and tinsels found that I had everything except a hook. I did have hooks but all were too small for the hackles I have so I picked up some Daiichi 2370 loop Eye hooks in size 2 yesterday. The original pattern recipe calls for 4 olive gray saddle hackles as the winging and I have some that fit the bill but they are good size hackles and I couldn't see pealing them down to fit a #4 or 6 hook. I've been sitting on these hackles for the better part of 30 years and don't have a clue where I will find any more like them.

For many years I made all my feather wing streamers on the venerable Mustad 3665-A hook which has a turned down eye, they were the standard for these flies when I learned to make them. In the early 90's Orvis began selling an open loop hook having a strait eye and I thought they would allow the flies to swim more naturally in use. I believe I was correct with that assumption and once I began utilizing the Orvis slip knot for attaching the flies to leaders they swam even better. So when I went for hooks I went for loops.

I guess I tied this to see if I still had the old feather wing knack, in the end I think it'll work just fine

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's what I used:

Hook: Daiichi 2370 #2 7X long shank
Tag: Small flat silver tinsel
Body: Lt. Orange silk
Throat: 5 strands of Peacock herl with sparse buck tail under, finished with a gold pheasant crest under all
Wing: A gold pheasant crest as long as the throat crest as under-wing, 4 gray olive saddle hackles
Shoulders: Body feather from a silver pheasant skin
Jungle cock nails as eyes
Head: Black

It was good to tie a fly

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;