View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Larry,

Now it could well be that the foam you are talking about may even work better because it could be tied to the top side of the wire as well. I will definitely check it out, and I thank you for the suggestion. It has to be very bouyant to hold up 7/0 hooks though.
Jim

Yikees! I've never even seen a 7/0 hook!
A couple years ago I made some mouse patterns out of Nutria fur strips spun onto the hook. My thought was that the oily underfur would keep the fly on the surface for stripping across the top of the water, but it failed miserably. I then went back to the drawing board (after seeing Eastern Rises) and got some 3mm foam and tied strips along the top of the fly, gurgler style, now the fly floats great, but my hooks aren't nearly the size you are dealing with.

Larry