View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allen rods - ferrells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
The idea behind spigot ferrules is to help lessen the effect of "hinge" in multi-peice glass rods. It also allows for a continuous taper where as in tip over butt the tip section sees an obvious swell towards the ferrule. The gap in fit is because the male end of the ferrule flexes along with the rod during casting and fighting fish, the two female rod blank ends would grind together with a tight fit causing splits and weak spots.
So let me get this straight. A spigot ferrule is created by cutting a single piece blank and then adding the ferrule over what is the female section of the blank? That is what it sounds like. While a tip over butt ferrule is made by spinning, or building the space into the butt section of the blank?

If I have this right (?) please explain how the spigot is stronger if is indeed an added part to the blank rather than built into it. I don't get it.

I am confused!

thanks.