View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Moving from a spey rod to a switch.

Hi George,

I forget which thread but there was a discussion about this recently. I use 13 & 15 foot rods where they are appropriate for the fishing and have ran into what you describe. My best answer was that when I start fishing where I truly expect to have a fish grab the fly, I try to have a plan on how I'm gonna handle the operation before I even cast. Generally there is enough room at shore for me to back away from the water and when the fish is tired or just calm enough (I've been graced with some calm ones) to be led into shallow water I lean the rod and take the leader in hand. At that point without much in the way of wasted time I either get hold of it or net it if I am carrying a net.

If the conditions are such that a long rod isn't the ticket for controlling the line & fly because the river is small enough for a one hand 9' rod I go that route. I really like the long rods and just bought a new 'old stock' Derek Brown Special 7/8 for trout and whatever I happen to hook. I would love to get over to your place to fish and just might. Sooner or later I'll make contact again and see if we both have time to meet at the Donut King. I've been busy getting ready for winter and now with this wind storm pounding us over here I have little interest in going anywhere unless I have to. I'll ring you again soon OK?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;