View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving from the NW to Vieques, PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
I was faced with fish that were hard to see unless the tide was low and with turtle grass that would bury a weighted fly.
Good luck.
Good point, GB. Just goes to show that a lousy picture is sometimes not worth a dozen words. I'm glad you pointed that out to Oregon.

Many of those flies in my picture are old, and are not weighted with lead. They have very light bead eyes which start out gold, but soon the salt makes them look like lead. They do not bury themselves in grass, but the slight amount of weight they add keeps the hook riding up and tracking well.

I do have some lead eyed ones in this same pattern for blind casting into known bonefish highways (chanels) when the flats become too flooded to see tails - particularly late in the evening. Then, I fish them like salmon streamers. I have caught a number of bones doing this, and also a lot of snapper, snook and jacks .

This is my go to fly down here when not fishing crabs on different bottom.

Click the image to open in full size.