View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Skunked yesterday and leaders

I just try to get the best bargains.

I started last year with two each of 4X, 5X & 6X. One of each lasted the year. I like to have backups. Yes, I do tie tippet material when I get back a 2-3 feet on the leader (and they start at 9 footers). I've never extended the 9 feet because of some of smaller streams I fish at. I keep one (1) extra around as a practice leader for the backyard.

Only one of my rods cost me more than $100, the rest were between $60-$90 shipped. That is not to say they are cheap quality. The reels I never paid more than $40 for.

I don't have alot of money to throw around so if I am going to be in this sport (and I AM going to be in this sport), then I have to do it frugally. And, it's also balanced out on how much I get to fish. If I was on the water 45+ days a year, it would be different. I'm damn lucky to get 2 weeks a year, all told. As time moves on and I'm able to fish more, I will upgrade materials as necessary.