View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default South Platte River Deckers Report

Got out for a quick half day on Saturday. Boy, was it cold at 8 a.m. I was not mentally prepared for dealing with winter-like conditions and struggled the first half hour just to tie on flies, manage gloves and hats, and break ice out of guides. Needless to say. I didn't fare very well until it warmed up a bit.

I fished just below the Wigwam Club for about two hours, working down into the mouth of the narrow section of the canyon. Hooked one early on but only had him for about five seconds. Landed two others, one small brown and one decent brown. Then it turned into the typical Deckers sausage fest so I hoofed it back to the truck and drove downstream below the Platte River campground. I saw hundreds of recently stocked rainbows. They were skiddish and didn't seem to know how to act. Hooked one but didn't land him. Water is very low and very clear.

I don't fish Deckers that often anymore. It makes me kind of sad, really. This once great fishery has suffered from fire and drought in the last decade. The bottom is now mostly loose granite sand. Very little rock or vegetation left. It needs about three years of month-long 1,000 cfs flushings. There are still some big fish in the system, but it pales in comparison to what it used to be. But, it makes for a nice half-day getaway and you can still land a few fish in a beautiful setting.

Flies - red worm (worm size), size 18 flashback pheasant tail, size 20 red midge. 5x to first fly, 6x to the midge. as little weight as possible and a tiny indicator.

Click the image to open in full size.

On a side note. I did try something for the first time. I was fishing alone so I took my iPod with me and listened to music. I never turned it up so much that I couldn't hear the water rushing or hear my feet hit the ground when I walked. Just some background music. I was surprised that I kind of enjoyed it. I don't know if I feel like a d-bag or not. I usually criticize people who can't leave stuff like that in the truck. I don't see making it a habit, but once in a while if I am alone? Maybe.

Cheers,

Gary