View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 03:31 PM

Mike Soulie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Norfork and the White

Hello,
Read your post and think I can help a little. I have to drive 7hrs to get to Cotter and do it twice a month the fishing is so great. There has been almost constant generation for about 9 mo's up until a month ago and now we are seeing some good cutbacks on both the White and the North Fork. As the Spring progresses we should see less generation and some fantastic fishing. The fish have been well fed without a lot of pressure for quite awhile and things are really looking up.
First I would suggest you go to the restaurant at Gastons and get one of the White and North Fork river maps they sell there, a local guy has done some great work mapping the rivers with all the access points marked, it's a great help. It is about 5 pages stapled together on some fairly waterproof paper and it will be your friend.

Fishing can be great even during generation (4 - 6 units) on the White and (2 units) on the North Fork if you know some good spots. Wading is limited but there are places.
White: right in front of the public access on the golf course side just below the Bull Shoals dam is a very nice seam when the water is high, just stand on the rocks and cast a San Juan worm straight upstream, close to the bank and let it come right back to you, pulled a reallly nice brown and 'bo there a couple of weeks ago like that. If they turn the water off go to the flats right below the dam and work that with an olive wooly bugger and you should do well. If you stay at Dale Fulton's Blue Ribbon Lodge the fishing right in front of his place is good during high water also.
When generation is down there are too many places to mention, just work the map.
North Fork: even during high water there is a very nice seam right along the parking lot at the dam there and below the boat ramp is another nice seam, zebra midges, San Juan worms, egg patterns and wooly buggers work there as well.

The guys at the Blue Ribbon Fly shop in Mountain Home are a good source of info, tell Larry Babin I said to give you the scoop. Dale Fulton is a great source of info and I suggest you stay at his place for some great local info. I will give some links.

Enjoy this world class water and catch and release is the order of the day.

1. Fulton's Flyfishing lodge on the Arkansas White River, Cotter Arkansas
Blue Ribbon Fly Shop - Flyfishing in Arkansas White River and Mountain Home Gateway

Zero limit and tight lines my friend.

Mike Soulie