View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gloves--What's your preference??

I own a couple of different ones to use at different points through the year. The fold overs are a great concept and really nice to have when you are NOT fishing. I have the Simms model and the fold-over always gets in my way. When you are out in the woods for a while, the mittens can provide protection and help reduce the chance of frostbite. When I need to warm up my hands even while on the stream, I'll throw these on for a while until I warm up.

My choice though is a no brainer. Fingerless wool, period. That amazing natural fiber was designed to be water resistant and insulate. Fleece does a pretty good job but I've found it to absorb more water than the wool. Wool gloves also dry out faster in my experience. They are thick enough without being constrictive and don't make it a challenge to tie knots while still providing a solid amount of warmth.

It's also not a bad idea to carry multiple pair of gloves if you are fishing in foul weather so that when one pair gets wet, you can rotate to dry ones until the others dry out some. Hand warmers also help.

One pair that I'd stay away from is the Simms Windstopper fingerless models. They only offered me comfort during the fall/early spring, whereas the wool gloves offer greater comfort in a wider range of temperatures. Plus have the aforementioned properties that I have come to appreciate.

Seems the older I get, the more I am in line with Ard's comment: "When it is too cold for them to offer any comfort it is also usually cold enough that the icing of the rod and line put a stop to the festivities."

Some days though I don't care how cold it is or how bad my line and rod will ice up and I just need to get out and into the water. If I'm lucky, I'm doing OK and able to fish and if not, I'm tossing around fly line that resembles clothes line due to icing and call it a day when I've had enough.

Ard,

Your post reminded me of the time when I was doing quite a bit of traveling through PA and Central/Eastern PA in particular. I made the trek down that hemlock lined road to the Woolrich store in Woolrich, PA. Man, what a cool drive and such a unique place with rich history tucked in the middle of nowhere!

Sorry for the ramble guys.