View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly casting certification

Mike,

It's hard to say. But I would suspect that nearly all of the new instructors being certified here are either guides who want to learn how to instruct to help their clients catch more fish, or are owners/staff of fishing lodges, fly shops or wilderness trip outfitters where good instruction will help their primary businesses. There isn't a fly fishing club in or even near the "Sportfishing Capital of the World" in the Florida Keys, for instance.

With the economy here gone south, and no substantial reason for it to change, I think that those who are working are not spending so much time in leisure pursuits as they were in the years just after "The Movie" came out.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be a growing demand for casting instructors. And for someone wanting to teach who's not in the recreational fishing business already, they would, in many places, have to have the time to start from scratch. Perhaps offering lessons to the Boy Scouts for merit badges or schools, and try to get the word spread. But that takes time and a separate source of income.

To me it seems like a lot of work and expense to go through for someone with no intention of ever teaching, just to have their own personal "merit badge". I can't imagine too many people anywhere would put the time in for something that the vast majority of the population here doesn't even know exists. Much easier to buy the fastest crotch rocket on the market for a "low down payment and easy terms".

So I tend to think that those instances you mention are likely fewer than perceived.

Cheers,
Jim