View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wire shock tippet

We've used wire shock tippets for 'Cuda. We like red starnded wire the best, and always use crimp-sleeves for our "knot". Basically we run the wire through the crimp sleev, then through the eye, and then back through the crimp sleeve. mash it down good, then i like to wrap the tagg around the mainline 5 or 6 times like the start of a cynch knot. then I fix the wraps in place with either epoxy or thick zap-a-gap, just in case the wire slips in the sleeve. Don't try and crimp with regular pliers, get a pair made for it.

We keep several flies rigged with about 15-18inches of wire attached to the fly, and a barrel swvel on the other end for the leader connection. If we run out of rigged flies...went though 6 one day, then I rig on the spot and use two(2) crimp sleeves in line....yes, I'm paranoid....and those big 'ol half chicken flies are expensive!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.