View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First attempt at a salmon fly

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Other than learning to work with the different feathers and feather barbs; which simply takes time, the most important consideration, I think, in tying ASF's is to keep your wraps to a minimum. Material build-up is the most challenging aspect of tying most ASF patterns (from the butt to the head; although the head is where most people have the greatest challenges). So, keep your thread flat, use a minimum of thread wraps; unwrap and re-wrap wherever you can as you tie in more materials and smooth your work as you go along.

Also, although the temptation with ASF's is to tie up a whole lot of different patterns (probably because there are so many interesting, attractive patterns to tie up), I think that the best path forward is to tie up the same pattern multiple times. Say, for instance, tie up a dozen of your first pattern; the Thunder and Lightning. You'll be amazed at the difference between your first and last fly.

Have fun and don't forget to fish the patterns that you tie. In my opinion, that first pattern of yours would do just fine for fishing salmon. Ard would be the expert in that area.

Pocono