View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where did my line go?

One of the most productive spots in the river I fish is fairly narrow. 15 to 20 feet across. So when I fish up stream I am casting perhaps 30 feet. I try to let it drift past all the overhangs and downed trees in the water until it gets back to me. At that point I will have 10 feet or so of line out. So when I go to cast again I'm fighting the friction on around 20 feet of line in the water behind me. For example: One of my favorites is sinking a Wholly Bugger to the bottom and letting him drift down stream. I'll get hits around 30% of the time. (I haven't been out much since the temperature dropped over the last 2-3 weekends, so I haven't yet adapted any style to the changing weather.)
One stretch is just down from a bend in the river, so I can't cast from upstream since the trees come right up to the waters edge. If i want to fish this section I have to do it from down stream.
My biggest problem (In my head) may be that I don't know any fly fishermen and I fish alone so I can't see how anyone else does it. I am one of those people. I can expand on many things, but I generally want a visual example to use as a starting point.

I have been trying to keep as much distance as possible. So I will, at times, cast farther and pull line to move the fly around and/or "mimick" life. I'm wondering if I should move "myself" around the river more so that I can have less slack in the water. It is not clear water so I start to wonder if the fish see me that much anyway.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Think of it this way.

1. After a cast, all the line should be out of the guides with no extra line on the water.

2. You should retrieve line only through the useable drift. Whether you are fishing dries or nymphing, there is only a relatively short section of the drift that is drag free. This is the functional portion of the drift. At the end of the drift, pick up and recast; do not continue to pull in extra line.

A 10 foot long drift with a dry fly is a long time for the fly to be floating drag free. Most drifts are shorter than that, so if you have a lot of line at your feet, you probably should pick up and recast more often.

When you are fishing still waters with a streamer you would retrieve a lot of line but in moving water, you would fish much shorter sections and there is no need to retrieve all or most of the line. This is one of the advantages of fly fishing. Unlike spin fishing, we can pickup and recast without retrieving all the line. We can hit the best spots on a river without retrieving the fly back to us through less productive water.
Ah, this helps describe the answers to some of my questions. I lost track of it as i was typing my response. i should probably find a way to reduce the weight to line issues. My presentations tend to be more on the side of a crashing bridge than a landing angel. That forces me to think that I should leave it drift longer to reach the fish that weren't crushed by the bridge. They aren't all bridge collapses, it just feels that way at times.