View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Maintain your Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I do not recommend applying any sort of wax or polish to synthetic rods.

Ill mating ferules are bad rod design and should be addressed with the manufacturer. Rods that loosen during fishing are eventually going to break at a joint
That might be fine for a single hand rod, but I wax the ferrules on my two handers every single time I use them. The forces involed in casting a 15' rod are far greater than those of a single hand rod. If you don't it will take less than half an hour and you will cast part of your rod into the water and bust a ferrule as sure as the sun shines. In fact the number one rule of a new two hander should always be wax every time. And it's not a matter of good ar bad menufacture either. It is a matter of physics. If you do it while it's relatively warmer and then fish till the temps drop like I do, you may find it hard to get them apart. I just hold the ferrule in my mouth till it warms up and comes apart.