View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Indicator Fly for Winter?

Bruce, I don't know about smart, but I've learned from my experiences and have come to loathe the dry / dropper technique when using a weighted nymph. I use it for dropping small nymphs, wets, flymphs, emergers...I'll use a two fly rig for trailing a very small dry as well, keeping my eye on the lead fly. But I've come to the realization that when I'm fishing the trendy "Hopper/dropper" type of big foam fly with a beadhead worm that I'm not actually fishing either fly, rather half fishing each of them. And that's just not how I like to fish anymore.

If you are new to nymph fishing, which it sounds like maybe you are, you might want to do some reading about "Czech Nymphing" or Euro nymphing which it is referred to...or if you don't like the fab of it all...High Sticking, as it was dubbed many years ago my western anglers like Charlie Brooks. It has now caught on and become very popular due to tournament fishing and the success rate the technique achieves. Anyway, it forgoes the indicator and is much more enjoyable, read active, way to fish nymphs. There is plenty of info out there. If you are not an entrenched indicator nympher (like many of us) it will be a lot easier for you to learn, because you won't have the chuck and duck and watch the fuzzy "bobber" stuff to unlearn!

I like that caddis pattern too, I am adding it to my winter list.