View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default NY Buster Browns!

This past weekend I made my annual pilgrimage to New York, and the Lake Ontario Tributaries for the lake-run Brown Trout.

First, a quick appology to A.J., I am sorry I never called. My cell phone took a dunking and I didn't have your number saved anywhere else. Its a lousy excuse but there it is. If you tried to call me, that's why I never answered. I'll be making a few trips to Erie, and maybe we can meet there to wet a line.

As far as the trip to NY, it was EPIC! There were six of us: Me, my Dad, my brother, a good friend, and two of my high school fly fishing club members. Matt is the son of my friend, and Braden is Matt's buddy. Neither of them had any experience with fly fishing on this level. I had to supply both with ALL the gear, but of course, I was glad to do it. To say they had a blast would be a serious understatement. We left home Saturday morning at 5AM. The boys were not in the best mood as they had just played in the first round of the District football playoffs the preceding night, and didn't get home until well after midnight. They basically slept through the 6 hour trip north.

We arrived just after 11Am, and after checking-in to our lodging, we hit the streams. I was immediately apprehensive as the Browns were sparse, and what was there were very skittish. Sunday morning saw a beautiful sunrise, and over 50 degree temps., but the fish were still tough, and the run thin. We spent the day creek hopping looking for more fish. By about 4PM that night we tried a place that I had never been on, only about 400 yrads off the mouth of the creek, and Viola!, there they were. Still skittish, but good numbers. We caught a few, but darkness fell quickly. Monday morning saw us at that stretch of creek at dawn. The fish were still skittish, and had lock-jaw. I had watched the weather report the evening before, and told the boys not to get down, and that the on coming storm front would probably light them up.

Sure enough at about 930AM the wind picked up a bit, and the storm got close. Just like that the switch was flipped, and they began to bite voraciously. We all hooked up so many times we lost count....a truely wonderful day. Both boys couldn't believe that fighting fish could make your arms "burn". The pics say it all......

Click the image to open in full size.

Oh yeah I caught a few too!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.