View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: saltwater kayak angler thread

One of my best friends is a big game kayak fisherman who moved from Maine to Hawaii about 25 years ago. Accounts of his exploits published in the Hawaii Fishing News have really spurred the growth of kayak fishing over there and the Hawaiian slegh ride. He sells a DVD, which he sent me a long time ago and I'd be happy to snag a few sections off it and put the result on youtube for pirvate viewing for a limited time while if enough guys are interested.

He is not a fly fisherman, and uses a very stiff spinning rod so he can more easily direct the kayak with a fish on, and spin the craft for landing edible fish he intends to keep.

It is a time consuming process, so I'm not going to bother unless people are interested.

He does not go offshore alone, and he uses walkie talkies for communication with his fellow kayakers because they sometimes are dragged out beyond cell phone range. Many of his fishing buddies are Native Hawaiians, and when fishing with them, everything is kept. They eat everthing and waste nothing.

Personally, I agree with the natives and am glad that they are still able to continue at least a small part of their cultural heritage. When fishing with non-natives, Reg releases extra fish and those that are not high on his own list of palatable preferences. Since he cannot ice large fish down, his fishing for the day is done as soon as he lands a large fish.

Here is a picture showing one such fish kept. Both he, and his buddy who helped him get it into the Kayak, paddled an estimated 35-40 miles extra after this fish was hooked and dragged Reg into the current going bythe island chain. Reg severely damaged a muscle in his back that day paddling back because the fish screwed up his natural stroke, and was unable to kayak during his 6 months rehab. The doctor told him that the muscles used for paddling were way overdeveloped, and had to develop those that opposed them before he could safely resume kayaking.

Click the image to open in full size.

So if anyone is interested, like people who fish for amberjack, kingfish, dolphin, wahoo etc. I'll do a relatively short segment of video.