View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Fischer is on a distinguished road
Default Fly rod for Nova Scotia fishing

Hey everyone, I looked around the web and this seemed like the right place to ask this question:

Very soon I'll be relocating to Nova Scotia to a smaller community on the coast near Cape Breton. I've had the opportunity last summer to fly fish for a few times and loved it (don't even know what kind of rod I was using). Now I'm conveniently moving to a very good fishing location and I'm planning on picking up the proper gear shortly.

Sorry if that backstory was slightly unnecessary...I'll get more to the point now. What I'm looking for is a starter trout rod that can handle a number of conditions. I'll be fishing lakes, rivers but also a bit of saltwater on the coast where the sea run trout chase baitfish into the river systems from the ocean. This area being so close to the Atlantic coast pretty much guarantees that there's very often at least some degree of wind to contend with.

I'm basically a beginner with a little casting experience. Price isn't really that much of an issue but seeing as how I'll be buying an entire outfit (reel, line, waders, etc) I'd like to stick to a somewhat reasonable budget. In other words I don't want to shell out the money for a top of the line Sage but I could go a little higher than the Launch series price range.

If anyone has any ideas or is maybe even familiar with the area I would greatly appreciate your input!