View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: saltwater kayak angler thread

Yes they are definitely big.

As to your shark adventure, I don't know how you would be able to manage a large fish with outriggers on. Sounds like a major problem to me.

From talking with Reg and watching him land numerous fish on his DVD, he uses a stiff rod and keeps it mostly parallel to the axis of the kayak throughout the entire fight - even close in. On one fish in particular I remember, he keeps the rod forward even though a wahoo of 30 libs or more is trying to run behind him. To fight a large fish with the rod out to the side would mean a capsize in the event of a snapped line or hook pull out.

I once put outriggers on a canoe down here with a side mounted 3 hp motor. It didn't work for me, and was also very wet, so I removed them, and just never took anyone out with me in it who didn't have a lot of canoe time already.

I would guess that you might have to sit further forward than Reg does if using a fly rod to get the kayak to spin easier when using a fly rod than if using a stiff spinning rod like he does. And also to allow the line to clear the bow without getting hung up, though if it were smooth enough and gently rounded, that may not matter so much.

Good luck.