View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Name Your Trout Top Ten Nymph & Dry Flies

What kind of guy would I be if I didn't answer your thread? For almost 9 years I haven't had many needs for a dry but I still do a little each year to stay sharp

1. Blue Quill #18 - 20, this worked for almost every hatch no matter what was on the water, I seldom used BWO because this filled that need.
2. Grey Fox Variant #10 - 14, with or without wings this was my big Mayfly pattern. It covered March Brown, Slate Drake, and Gray Fox hatches.
3. Light Cahill #14 - 16, answered the need for most pale dunn and tan Mayflies.
4. Sulfur Quill #16, Tied with a stripped Lt. Ginger feather quill this worked for the Spring Creek Sulfur colored mayflies.
5. Female Beaverkill #14 & 16, A Mayfly not too widespread and perhaps another pattern would have worked but I tied the original and used it.
6. Heneryville Special Caddis #14 & 16, I only ever tied a few Elk Hair Caddis because I used the Heneryville in color variations for my caddis.
7. Bi-Visible # 14 - 16, The best pocket water Brook Trout fly I can think of, they don't have much time to look at the fly and this works just fine.
8. Quill Gordon #14 - 16, Early April they come on in great numbers and I tied and used the original pattern.
9. Ginger Quill #16, This was a good all purpose dry fly with a good silhouette and mimicked many different buff Mayflies in North Central PA.

10. Here on my home waters now I use a Royal Wulff because I can This is the only place I've ever fished where you can tie on an attractor fly and have confidence that you will raise a fish. I always liked the fly but never had much use for them in the lower 48. The flies I listed are but a few of what I tied & used in my other life, I used them with confidence in many states and providences but Lived in North Central Pennsylvania for years.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;