View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Name Your Trout Top Ten Nymph & Dry Flies

I forgot to mention any nymphs. I haven't fish nymphs since I figured out how to use them, that would be back around 1979 - 80. Prior to that I spent quite a bit of time learning how to make leaders for fishing 2&3 nymph rigs and how to read the seams for drifting them. Back then we did not use indicators, you dead drifted either with the rod high or by using serious line control. I got good at catching trout on nymphs but honestly, it was way too much like fishing red worms or crickets like I had done before taking up the fly rod. Plenty of fish caught but just too much like bait fishing for me, so once I had put the ability to fish them effectively on my resume, I stopped using them.

When I did I liked the following:

Hairs Ear: With or without rib & tail
Mayfly: Any color combination of mayfly with tails and wing case to match the nymph I was trying to match
Stone fly: Black, brown & gold / yellow
Hellgrammite
Green Caddis Pupa tied with clear Swanendaz vinyl

That's about it, I tied every pattern that were in my books but those were what I used. I still have a bunch of nymphs made during the 70's just in case I have to use them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;