View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Name Your Trout Top Ten Nymph & Dry Flies

Ten different dries is probably about all I ever fish and ten different nymph patterns might be more than I fish! So I'll just go with a Top 10 and then see...

Searching Dry Flies:
1. Stimulator
2. Turk's Tarantula
3. Wulff

Mayfly Dry:
4. Parachute Adams
5. Compara Dun
6. Parachute PMD
7. EZ2C Mayfly

Wets:
8. Pheasant Tail soft-hackle
9. Pheasant tail nymph
10. Beadhead Hare's ear nymph
11. Rubber-legged Stone

So there is my Top 11! I could add a couple nymphs like Copper John or different caddis larva but the fact is a big rubber leg stonefly nymph with a small PT (in various colors) is most common for my nymphing.

I could add a dry fly pattern for ever hatch in my area, but that sort of defeats the idea of a "Top 10" (or this one that goes to 11, thank you Nigel!). The primary hatches here can be fished, in general, with an Adam's of the right size...(not that I do it, but one could get away with it a lot of the time). If the Para Adams won't work, a Compara Dun probably will!

The Turk's in various size and color is a killer fly that can imitate a stonefly, hopper, caddis or just be a great attractor, I love that fly.

The EZ2C patter uses hackle tip wings canted over the hook eye, a hackle collar so I use this as an upright winged, high riding fly opposite the parachute.